Friday, April 9, 2010

The Portugal report #3: Pedra Basta 07

Posted by Anders
Last december, during my past visit to Portugal, I searched numerous Garrafeiras to get my hands on Richard Maysons wine from Alentejo, the Pedra Basta. Being sold out for christmas, I had to wait until this time around, where I came across only 2 bottles in shop in Almada.
This wine is one to watch, produced from a new and very proffessional approach in Alto Alentejo (Portalegre), at the vineyard, Quinta do Centro. The name (Pedra basta = enough stone) for their first wine refers to the westernly placed granite lands from there the wines are growing. It is made on traditional Alentejo blend (Trincadera, Aragonez, Alicante Bouschet), with the addition of Cabernet Sauvignon. And the last grape material may be essential for its difference compared to so many other Alentejo wines I have tried. It sticks out, and is one to enjoy and remember. The bouquet was very complex and with reference points, for me, from wines produced with wild ferment yeasts.

Pedra Basta 2007

Huge nose of dark berries, wet leaves, and horse leather. The taste is smooth, balanced, and with soften tannins. Locally bought at 12.5 €, 92P
- até àproxima -

No comments: